Saturday, October 03, 2009

Sleeping through the night

This is a question that plagues parents. Is your baby sleeping through the night? Why is he/she not sleeping through the night? Here, have my advice on how to make your baby sleep through the night. Not listening or trying to ignore me? Here, read these books on getting babies to sleep through the night!

BAH!

I have been told that I am damaging my son by not regimenting him to sleep through the night. I am doing him a disservice by not training him how to sleep.

Here are my ideas about sleep and our son; He is not a puppy, kitten, parakeet, puppet, or any other form of trainable animal. He is a human being to be treated with respect, love, and kindness. I was always treated as though I knew everything and asked for clarification if I needed it or when I didn't fully understand. I feel this has really helped with my ability to read people, learn contextual subjects, and have a lot of confidence in my brains. Talon is a baby, with a tiny bladder, a tiny stomach, and a tiny attention span. Counter to belief feeding him solids did not help him sleep through the night, it made him worse. Crying out did not work. Johnson & Johnson's special bedtime wash and lotion with "Natural Calm" made him sleep worse. To me, this all spelled out one thing:

He simply isn't ready or calm enough yet to sleep through the night.

And I am okay with it. Chad is okay with it. We are tired, and sleepy, occasionally grumpy but before we know it, Talon will be 16, begging for us to quit banging on his door and give him 10 more minutes. We get maybe 2 years of him needing our love and our comfort. Maybe 3 years of him sleeping in our bed, enjoying to snuggle between Mami and Papa. Some days we handle it worse than others, but most of the time, we keep it in perspective. He'll sleep when he's ready and parenting is a 24/7 job. Parenting does not stop for sleep, it continues. And because Talon deserves the best, we will give him everything that we have inside of us because we are parents. We are his parents, and dammit, we're good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment